Who owns Frontier Airlines? Frontier Airlines is owned by Indigo Partners, an American private equity firm specializing in investments in the air transportation industry. Indigo Partners acquired Frontier Airlines in 2013, transforming it into an ultra-low-cost carrier. The firm has a history of investing in airline companies and holds stakes in various airlines around the world. William A. Franke, co-founder and managing partner of Indigo Partners, serves as the Chairman of the Board of Frontier Airlines.
Frontier Airlines is an American ultra-low-cost carrier headquartered in Denver, Colorado. It was founded in 1994 by a group of executives that included Sam Addoms, Sean Menke, and Al Lenza, initially under the name Phoenix Aviation and subsequently changed to Frontier Airlines. The airline began operations on July 5, 1994, serving a small number of regional destinations. Ownership of Frontier Airlines has experienced several transitions over the years:1. From 1994 to 2000, Frontier’s ownership was held by individual shareholders and private investors, with the company publicly traded. The initial years saw continued expansion of services and fleet size. 2.
In 2000, the airline announced a merger with regional carrier Great Lakes Aviation, which made Great Lakes the major shareholder of Frontier. However, the merger was terminated in 2001. 3. In 2006, investment firm Indigo Partners LLC and New York-based hedge fund firm Marathon Asset Management LLC formed a partnership to acquire control of Frontier. The partnership was called Frontier Airlines Holdings Inc. 4. In 2008, Frontier filed for bankruptcy as a result of financial challenges, including high fuel prices and financial struggles faced by its credit card processing company.
5. In 2009, Republic Airways Holdings Inc., an airline holding company that owns regional carriers like Chautauqua Airlines, Republic Airlines, and Shuttle America, acquired Frontier Airlines out of bankruptcy and became the majority owner. Frontier continued to expand its services and routes under this ownership structure. 6. In 2013, Republic announced it would sell Frontier Airlines to Indigo Partners, a private equity firm with investments in various airlines, including Wizz Air, Spirit Airlines, and Volaris. The transaction was completed in December 2013 and marked the beginning of Frontier’s transformation into an ultra-low-cost carrier. Under the ownership of Indigo Partners, Frontier Airlines has continued to expand its network, focusing on offering low-cost fares and an unbundled pricing model.
Who was the original founder?
Frontier Airlines was originally founded by Sam Addoms, who served as the CEO of the company until 2001. Sam Addoms was born in 1943 and graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering from the United States Naval Academy. He later obtained his Master’s degree in Business Administration from Harvard Business School.
Before founding Frontier Airlines, Addoms had a successful career in the energy industry, spending more than two decades working for various companies such as ARCO, Champlin Petroleum, YPF, and Amax Oil and Gas. His experience in the business world and strategic thinking played a crucial role in the establishment and growth of Frontier Airlines. In 1994, Addoms, along with a group of other investors, recognized the opportunity to serve the Denver, Colorado area after the bankruptcy of Continental Airlines’ Denver hub.
Consequently, they founded Frontier Airlines, intending to create a low-cost carrier which commenced operations in July of that same year. With a focus on providing quality customer service, innovative ideas, and expanding to underserved areas, Frontier Airlines grew rapidly under his leadership. Sam Addoms played an instrumental part in Frontier’s success before departing from the company in 2001.
FAQ: Who owns Frontier Airlines
1. Who is the current owner of Frontier Airlines?
Frontier Airlines is currently owned by its parent company, Indigo Partners, a private equity firm that specializes in investing in airlines around the world.
2. When did Indigo Partners acquire Frontier Airlines?
Indigo Partners purchased Frontier Airlines in December 2013 from Republic Airways Holdings.
3. What is the origin of Frontier Airlines?
Frontier Airlines was founded in 1994 by a group of executives from Continental Airlines who left the company to start their own airline.
4. Where is Frontier Airlines headquartered?
Frontier Airlines is headquartered in Denver, Colorado, USA.
5. How many destinations does Frontier Airlines serve?
As of now, Frontier Airlines serves over 110 destinations across the United States, Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic.
6. How can I contact Frontier Airlines’ customer service?
You can contact Frontier Airlines’ customer service by visiting their official website or reaching out to them through their toll-free phone number: 1-801-401-9000. They are available 24/7 to assist you with your queries.
Sources for More Information
Featured image provided by Maria Tyutina; Pexels; Thanks!